Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just Breathe!

Those of you who are following this blog have not heard from me since my arrival on good old American soil.  I have been struggling with breathing issues since the beginning of September.  After two trips to the hospital emergency wing and a visit to the doc I am now on the mend.  The first week back I was a jet-lagged version of myself but still felt confident about the progress we made in setting up the non-profit organization for widows and orphans.  The end of that first week it was like a semi truck parked itself on my lungs and I simply could not breathe!  For more than a week my sole existance was to breathe.  Other than becoming too familiar with my remote I did little else.  During those days I was extremely frustrated that no progress was being made on the non-profit.  After seeing with my own eyes the tremendous suffering, I feel a hightened sense of urgency to move forward as quickly as possible so that we can be in a position to meet needs.  I had alot of time to think and I was reminded of who gave me breath in the first place.  Job who was well aquainted with suffering was very aware that God breathes life into us.  Job 33:4 states "The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life."  Here is a man who truly understood that God himself had breathed into him the breath of life.  He knew the source of life and the source of strength to make it though tremendous suffering.  For that week or two I was acutely aware of my total dependency on my Heavenly Father for each breath.   I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and felt like someone had been covering my face with a pillow I inwardly cried out to God for air.  I was desperate to breathe.  While lying in the hospital bed that morning my mind reflected on the faces of the children, widows and widowers that are equally desperate for the breath of life.  Job who lost all of his children, his home, his livestock, his wealth and his health and was criticized by his wife and his friends, perfectly articulates what I saw in the eyes of many in suffering.  Job's questions to God were recorded in Job 10:18 "So why did you have me born? I wish no one had ever laid eyes on me! I wish I'd never lived—a stillborn, buried without ever having breathed. Isn't it time to call it quits on my life? Can't you let up, and let me smile just once before I die and am buried, before I'm nailed into my coffin, sealed in the ground and banished for good to the land of the dead, blind in the final dark?"  These are the very real questions of those who wake up every morning wondering if they will eat that day, struggling with a life threatening condition with no money for treatment or simply trying to survive till their next breath.  If God sent His Son so that we can have life and life abundantly (John 10:10), then it is not enough to simply breathe in and breathe out.  He made us for more and His Son died for more.  So, as you read this and you breathe in and breathe out the breath of life, remember that you were made for more...and so were they. 

No comments:

Post a Comment